Wednesday, June 11, 2014

A Strange Exchange With Bryan Adams


Recently I was granted the pleasure of interviewing Canadian musician Bryan Adams on the build up to his Irish headline performances.
I was told that it had to be email and Q and A format at the request of his management. The responses that followed some months later shed a light on the previously unknown part of Bryan Adam's 'unique' sense of humour. I wasn't ready for the word 'twerk'.


1.       You headlined the world famous Slane festival in Ireland a number of years ago. With that experience in mind, how do you find playing for an Irish Crowd?

BA: you turn left at Scotland

2.       There’s criticism that US and Canadian audiences don’t sing along at concerts? Have you noticed this difference when you are playing European dates? How do you get the crowds going?

BA: Yes it’s true, but it’s probably because they don’t allow alcohol at most shows in N. America.

3.       You have obviously had a long and successful career. Looking at how saturated the music market is now and how easy it has become to release music with social media etc., how well do you think you would do if you were just starting off now?

BA: Since I’m shite at twerking, I’d probably be forgotten at the bottom of the dustbin of time

4.       How does it feel to still play songs like summer of 69, cloud number 9, I do it for you? Can you enjoy them as much as you did back when they were first released, or is it a case of just doing it for the fans?

BA: I love those songs, are you kidding? Without them in the show, you might as well stay home

5.       What pre-show rituals do you have?

BA: We do a group tooth flossing, a series of star jumps, followed by a Madonna prayer ritual. If it’s a big show, we do all of them at the same time

6.       What music are you currently listening to?

BA: My new album called “Tracks Of My Years” which comes out in September. 

7.       Are you a fan of, or are you familiar with any other of the bands on the lineup? 

BA: Kool & the Gang, David Gray? Of course, how could you not love them? I just asked my 3 year old daughter what she thought of them and when she didn’t respond I asked if she thought they were cuddly, and she said Yes. So there you have it.





No comments:

Post a Comment